Court arrests two defendants in "May 2" case


The court has granted the motion by the prosecutor's office to arrest two defendants in the case of May 2, 2014 events in Odesa who are charged with a crime against foundations the national security of Ukraine.

This was announced by Prosecutor General's press officer Larysa Sarhan on Facebook, Censor.NET reports.

She says that the Kyivskyi district court of Odesa has granted the motion of the regional prosecutor's office to arrest two defendants in "May 2" case - Serhii Dolzhenkov (pictured left) and Yevhen Mefedov.

"They were the two participants in mass riots of May 2, 2014 whom the prosecutor's office of the Odesa region, after the Illichivsk court acquitted them, indicted of public calls to actions aimed at changing the borders of the state of Ukraine, in violation of the order set by the Constitution of Ukraine (part 2 article 110 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine)," she wrote.

Read more: Court finds suspects in Odesa May 2 case not guilty of turmoil

Earlier, on Sept. 18, Illichivsk city court in Chornomorsk, the Odesa region, found the suspects in the case of May 2, 2014 events in Odesa not guilty of mass riots at Hretska Square.

After the suspects were acquitted by the court, a turmoil started at the court building. Some tried to enter the building forcibly, but were stopped by law enforcers. The protesters stayed at the court building for several hours. The suspects and their relatives and lawyers were evacuated from the court house.

On May 2, Odesa residents commemorate people killed in May 2, 2014 tragedy. On that day, 48 persons were killed, 200 wounded in riots. Most of them fell victims of the fire in the Unions Building.

The conflict began as a group of armed militants arrived at Oleksandrivskyi Prospekt and stopped the march 'For united Ukraine.' A fight soon occurred, spreading to neighboring streets. Witnesses say the first person killed on pro-Ukrainian side was a demonstration participant shot from an automated weapon. People brought flowers to Preobrazhenska Street, where he died, several minutes after his death. Separatists were shooting Odesa residents under police cover.

Later, the conflict moved to Kulykove Pole. Separatists hid in the Unions Building, which subsequently caught fire. Witnesses say the fire fighting vehicle arrived some 30 minutes late. Pro-Ukrainian activists, who remained outside, were trying to get the people outside the burning building.

The events of May 2, 2014 have been actively used by Russian propaganda to fuel anti-Ukrainian sentiments.
Источник: https://censor.net.ua/en/n455893