Related materials:

 Court finishes consideration of materials in May 2 Odesa tragedy case, sentence to be announced by Sept. 15

суд фемида

The court has finished consideration of the case file on the tragedy of May 2 in Odesa, which lasted for about three years. The sentence will be announced by Sept. 15.

This was announced by jury panel in Illichivsk city court considering this case on Sept. 5, Censor.NET reports citing UNIAN.

Thus, the court completed consideration of the materials of the case which was in the courts for about three years.

Watch more: SBU detained group of people suspected of plotting terrorist attacks and provocations in Odesa. VIDEO

The defense stated that they had no evidence of the guilt of their clients and insisted on acquittal. The accused do not admit their guilt.

The jury said that the sentence will be announced by Sept. 15.

At the same time, the prosecutor's office is asking for up to 15 years in custody for persons involved in the riots on May 2, 2014 in Odesa. The prosecution believes the guilt of the defendants has been fully proved, and the commission of the crime is confirmed by the testimony of victims and eyewitnesses of the unrest, as well as videotapes and expert conclusions. Given this, the representatives of the prosecutor's office insist on imprisonment for former police serviceman Serhii Dolzhenkov (Captain Cocoa) for 15 years, Russians Maxim Sakauov and Yevgeniy Mefedov, as well as Ukrainian Serhii Korchynsky - 12 years imprisonment. For defendants Vladyslav Romaniuk and Oleksandr Sukhanov, the prosecution is requesting 10 years in prison, for the rest of the suspect - 8-9 years of imprisonment.

See more: Pro-Ukrainian activists killed on May 2, 2014 commemorated in Odesa. PHOTOS

On May 2, Odesa residents commemorate people killed in May 2, 2014 tragedy. On that day, 48 persons were killed, 200 wounded in riots. Most of them fell victims of the fire in the Unions Building.

The conflict began as a group of armed militants arrived at Oleksandrivskyi Prospekt and stopped the march 'For united Ukraine.' A fight soon occurred, spreading to neighboring streets. Witnesses say the first person killed on pro-Ukrainian side was a demonstration participant shot from an automated weapon. People brought flowers to Preobrazhenska Street, where he died, several minutes after his death. Separatists were shooting Odesa residents under police cover.

Later, the conflict moved to Kulykove Pole. Separatists hid in the Unions Building, which subsequently caught fire. Witnesses say the fire fighting vehicle arrived some 30 minutes late. Pro-Ukrainian activists, who remained outside, were trying to get the people outside the burning building.

The events of May 2, 2014 have been actively used by Russian propaganda to fuel anti-Ukrainian sentiments.Источник: https://censor.net.ua/en/n454206