"For Pavlo, it’s not important whether it's a year or two," Ihor Hryb said.
He added that Russian authorities had been properly informed of the grave dangers of Hryb's medical condition and of the need for an urgent surgery. A Ukrainian Professor traveled to Russia to explaine to Russian doctors, law enforcers, and others the threats of the lack of medical assistance. He also added that Pavlo had gone on a hunger strike to receive at least minimal medical assistance.
"The portal hypertension syndrome is an incurable congenital disease that Pavlo has had since childhood. In simple words, it is a bouquet of diseases, a reverse vein that supplies blood, liver, spleen, stomach... In short, it is a bouquet," said Hryb.
He noted that because of this disease, Pavlo requires constant medical support, systemic diet, normal living conditions and, at the moment, a surgery that he should have been performed back in 2017 before the young man was abducted by the FSB from Belarus. The boy's father added that there is a risk of internal bleeding that could lead to Pavlo's death. "When you tell the Russian side about it, they listen and do nothing," Hryb stresses.
Aug. 24, 2017, Pavlo Hryb, aged 19, left for Belorussian city Gomel to see a girl he met on social media, without knowing her personally, his father told. The girl was supposed to come from Russia. Pavlo was to return home on the same day, but he didn't. His father went to search for his son in Gomel the next day, and found out that Pavlo was on the wanted list by the Russian FSB for an alleged terrorist attack.
The North Caucasus Regional Military Court in the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don sentenced Ukrainian Pavlo Hryb to six years in standard regime penal colony for terrorism.