"Measures to contain and eliminate the disaster at the arms depot continue being taken as of 7 a.m. The emergency response center of the Armed Forces of Ukraine continues working at the scene around-the-clock. The situation is under control," the press service of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine said in a statement, Censor.NET reports.
It is noted that three armored fire-fighting vehicles are planned to be brought to the ammo dump in addition to the previously deployed EOD and fire-fighting vehicles.
"By order of the Chief of the General Staff - Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, General of the Army of Ukraine Viktor Muzhenko, the security and defense of ammunition and weapons storage facilities all across Ukraine has been enhanced," the agency said.
The relevant security measures are still being taken throughout the Chernihiv region and along Ukraine’s state border.
As reported, an explosion rocked the support area of the 6th arms depot near the town of Ichnia, the Chernihiv region, around 3:30 a.m. on Oct. 9 setting it on fire. The corresponding security measures were introduced all across the Chernihiv region.
The State Emergency Service reported at least 10,000 locals being evacuated from the danger zone.