EN|RU|UK
 Incidents
  26957

 Today marks fourth anniversary of MH17 downing

President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko says the Russian Federation must be inevitably punished for bringing down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 four years ago.

"It's four years since a Russian missile hit flight MH17 flight [...] I am confident that bringing the Russian Federation to account is inevitable. Terrorism must be condemned by the entire international community and punished," he tweeted on Tuesday, Censor.NET reports citing Interfax-Ukraine.

The head of state also expressed his condolences to the families of those killed in the plane crash four years ago.

As reported by UNIAN, this became one of the largest air crashes in history. The investigation is still under way. What has changed in the past year? The key one is that the world knew the immediate culprits of the disaster. In May, the investigation team provided additional evidence of Russia's involvement in the crash. The Buk anti-aircraft missile system, with which the aircraft was shot down, was at the disposal of the 53rd anti-aircraft brigade of the Russian Armed Forces. Its transportation was led by Russian Colonel Sergei Dubinsky aka Khmuryi.

In addition, the identity of another key person in the case became known. This is Colonel General Nikolai Fedorovich Tkachev aka Delfin. Recently, Western countries have increasingly officially blamed Russia. The EU leaders in June called on the Kremlin to recognize its responsibility for the disaster. The G7 ministers have recently called on the Kremlin to "immediately" start cooperation with the investigation. Australia said it would seek compensation from Russia for the families of the MH17 victims. But despite numerous facts and evidence, Russians do not recognize their involvement in the disaster. In September, the Netherlands decided the trial of the case would be held in The Hague.

Censor.NET has been reporting about the investigation of the crash investigation progress and published exclusive photos of the hangar and the submunitions of Russian missile Buk-M1-2, featured in the criminal investigation. Prosecutor's Offices of the Netherlands and Australia have prepared convincing evidence. It was established that submunitions that hit the Boeing exactly match those from the warhead of the latest Russian anti-aircraft missile Buk-M1-2. The system was developed in 1997, put into service of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in 1998, and was never delivered to Ukraine. In addition, independent experts from Germany, England and Poland studied the fragments of the debris and concluded they were part of a Russian Buk missile. Modern chemical analysis has identified the composition of the metal and found parts of the glass and skin of the same downed Boeing that had been cut by these elements prior to hitting the people.

In November 2015, President Poroshenko visited the Netherlands and said that Ukraine was employing its membership in the U.N. Security Council for investigation of the MH17 tragedy.

In May 2016, Australian law firm LHD filed a lawsuit against Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin to the European Court for Human Rights on behalf of relatives of those killed in the Malaysian Boeing MH17. The lawsuit names Putin as accused defendant and demands $10 million for each killed passenger.

On May 24, 2018, Joint Investigation Team said it managed to ascertain that the BUK system used to bring down MH17 was in service with the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. Namely, it belonged to the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade based in the city of Kursk, the Russian Federation.

Источник: https://censor.net.ua/en/n3076913
 
 
 
 
 
 up