"According to Russian human rights activist Zoya Svetova, who received permission to talk to Oleh via video call, he was taken to intensive care unit on Friday. He is now in the infirmary. No details about Oleh Sentsov's health are known so far. A lawyer is going to visit him late this week and we will have at least some news," Kaplan said.
Human rights activist Svetova reported June 12 that Sentsov was hospitalized but continued the hunger strike nevertheless.
"I don’t know whether they have force-fed him as they promised. Oleh told me nothing about his health. He is not going to give up; he is not going to die. But he is not going to end the hunger strike too," Kaplan added.
As reported, Sentsov is serving a sentence in the maximum security labor camp in the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District. This prison's inmates are serving sentences for commission of grave and especially grave crimes.
Sentsov was detained by the Russian FSB Security Service in Russian-occupied Crimea in 2014 together with activist Oleksandr Kolchenko. They were brought to Russia and tried in a trumped-up case on charges of organizing acts of terror and arson on the peninsula. On Aug. 25, 2015, Sentsov and Kolchenko were sentenced to 20 years' and 10 years' in prison, respectively. On Oct. 21, 2016, Russia refused to extradite the two Ukrainians to Ukraine, claiming they had automatically acquired Russian citizenship after the annexation of Crimea.
Sentsov’s sister Natalia Kaplan said March 16, 2018 that her brother reported on his failing health in a letter. He in particular said that he is losing his hair and has his teeth crumbling into small pieces.
On May 14, 2018, the fillmmaker said he went on an indefinite hunger strike demanding to release all Ukrainian political prisoners held in Russia.